Jared left on the fathers and sons camp out. Not all is a loss though, I get to have a girls night in with Mack, Alex, and Jordyn. We also get to have my nieces over for the night, Lainey and Libby. I decide to do hamburgers. Usually, Jared grills the burgers on his BBQ outside and so I thought that that is what I would do. However, Jared is the one that always does it, not me. No matter, I have seen Jared do in tons of times. I can do it too. I grab the long fire starter, and turn the nobs on the BBQ. (Each on high, I can instantly smell the propane.) I lower my fire starter into the pit, pull the switch and....a burst of flames comes floating up and consumes me in an instant of heat and fire.
I still have my eyebrows and my eyelashes. The hair on my arms are now burnt curly things. My hair...luckily just the wispies that frame my face are charred.
I have never smelt burnt human before. It smells bad!
The girls walked into the kitchen and I walked past them and their response was, "Eww! What's that smell, it smells bad?"
"It's me." I respond, "Mommy cooked herself a little."
I am laughing at this now because I would laugh at it later, so why not just laugh at myself now. Hair grows back, burns (not bad ones) heal, and perfume can cover up my burnt flesh stench if it doesn't wash out in a good shower.
I feel very blessed because I was going to do my hair this morning in curls. I had the time, I just didn't, even though I planned on it, I just...didn't! If my hair had been down, I would have crisped a lot more and perhaps I would not be taking this so well. Instead, my hair was swept back in a pony tail and just a few wispies are frizzled up fragments of what use to be hair. I had a thought to just not worry about curling my hair. Interesting that even little things like how we do our hair in a day can be influenced by the Holy Ghost.
So...I smell a little bad and feel like I have a little bit of a sun burn but other than that, all is well.
I have no pictures to show you as I rubbed off the nubs of hair from my arms and head before realizing that I should try and take a picture. So, there actually is no proof that this happened, but if you were sitting next to me, you would definitely be able to smell the proof!
5 comments:
I was helping my dad start a fire in the wood stove when I was little. I was blowing on the coals to make it go and he decided to shoot a little gasoline in there. I had short bangs for awhile and my eyebrows were a little crispy at the edges. He felt bad. The smell of burnt hair is very distinct. I have never smelled the burned flesh smell before. I am glad you can laugh about it and you weren't seriously hurt.
I've had a bbq gas of fire blow up in my face as well. So glad you still have your hair, and that it wasn't saturated with VO5, because that really would have ignited!
I'd like to watch, so please give us a call before you light the bbq next time!!!
It probably would have been traumatic for the girls to try to extinguish their mother. Glad you're still alive!
Probably a little tramatic....You were very blessed, and I'm glad I pray for your protection everyday. I guess we are protected. I think you should change the title of the blog post. Something like,"That was close" or "My own tanning parlor." You were just trying to figure things out. It was a great idea.
Post a Comment